Re: Oracle 9i and Active Directory

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:10:10 +0100

Hi Thomas,

unfortunately I had only an EE installation to test, but external authentification to my knowledge has nothing to do with oracle advanced security, which is needed if you want to manage your roles in AD. You only want to have users authentificated by the os.

Anyway, external authentification will still work with Active Directory: Testcase:

Win2003 Server acting as DC, Domain Name is SCADVM Win2000 Server acting as DB-Server

Create user oratest in the Active Directory as a standard user.

In Oracle:

SQL> create user "SCADVM\ORATEST" identified externally;
SQL> grant connect to "SCADVM\ORATEST";
SQL> exit;

No logon locally to the Win2000 Server (I had no third client machine for a more reallistic test) as oratest. Open Command Prompt

c:\sqlplus /

And after the usual banner of sql*plus and the database there's finally the line

connected.
SQL> HTH Holger