Re: performance problems after increasing redolog size

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 00:03:58 +1000

Hi Bud,

The performance problems are not because of the change in size of the redo logs but probably because of the fact you have now started to archive the buggers and poor little, struggling, abused, I-cant-cope-I want-out-of-here drive D is feeling somewhat stress about it.

To test, simply put the database back to noarchivelog mode leaving the redo logs at 10M and see if performance improves.

Also, based on the frequency of log switching I would look at making the logs somewhat bigger still.

Finally, storing your files and redo logs (both online and archived) on the same drive is always somewhat questionable from both a performance (as you're experiencing) and from a recoverability point of view.

Get those new disks of yours ASAP.

And two may not be enough !!

Good Luck

Richard

"Bud Socks" <bud_socks_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:b47e2h$1t3puv$1_at_ID-2182.news.dfncis.de...
> Hi there,
>
> first of all thank you very much for the numerous messages.
>
> Of course i owe you some more informations:
>
> We have 4 Oracle 8.1.7 instances running on a single cpu (PIII750) Winnt4
> machine with
> 1 GB ram.
> There are two drives created on a raid level 5 (drive c:, d:).
> No other internal drives for e.g. raid 1 are available !!!!
>
> All Oracle files including datafiles, redologs, archives and even the
> controlfiles are located
> on drive d: !!!!!!
> (don`t beat me - i know it's sheer lunacy! - but i have to administrate it
> and did not set
> it up that way)
>
> The client application running on top is a "small" CRM-solution for a
> call-center !
> Two of the oracle instances are the productive databases - that means each
> of it has its own
> CRM application & call-center !
>
> Both of them are having the archive mode & automatic archival enabled plus
> one more
> test-database running in the same mode (but low/less user activations).
The