Re: mod_plsql alternatives

From: cris <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:23:38 +0100

Norman Dunbar wrote:

> I do have Apache and mod_plsql set up (from 817) and in use serving up
> the Oracle docs from 8.0, 8i and 9i to our developers as well as serving
> up a Web front end for our asset managements system 'wot I wrote'. I've
> got absolutely no idea on getting the best out of it - I made a couple
> of changes so that it listens on the default HTML port (80) and serves
> docs up from a different location, but apart from that (and changing to
> a 'non privileged' unix user) I've done nothing with it.
>
> Our system is secured and the Webby stuff is internally viewable only,
> so our networking guys are happy with that.
>
> Creating web pages is soooooooo simply with PL/SQL and best of all, my
> code is secured with the database :o)

You mean that you are using "Oracle HTTP Server powered by Apache" (OHS)   , not "Oracle Internet Application Server" (IAS), do you?

I'm wondering if this is a viable solution for delivering PL/SQL apps on the Internet, in terms of license and performance.

We have a client that wish to use a PL/SQL web app written by us for delivering some data through the Internet to anonymous users. He does not expect a lot of traffic, but of course he cannot buy a named user license, since he cannot "name" his users. He have to buy a processor license.

The Oracle salesman told him he have to buy both the Oracle Database and the Oracle Application Server. The client told us that he is not interested to our app anymore because he has to pay too much $$$ to Oracle. I'm wondering if he can buy the Oracle Database only and use OHS instead of IAS.

Of course the RDBMS and OHS would be installed on two different servers for security and performance reasons: the RDBMS would be behind a firewall and OHS would be exposed to the Internet; they would communicate using Oracle Net. Is this acceptable in term of license?

I'm wondering if someone out there is running mod_plsql apps connected to the Intenet without all the Application Server stuff.

Thanks in advance, Cris Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 04:23:38 CST