Re: Restrict TOAD from accessing a DB?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2003 19:32:55 -0800

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0303051520.2dce519c_at_posting.google.com>...
> navaed7024_at_hotmail.com (E. Navarro) wrote in message news:<b86354ef.0303051201.34b7908e_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Oracle EE 8.1.7.4
> > Sun OS 5.7
> >
> > All,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a solution to prevent users from logging into a
> > database with certain applications. In my case, I want to prevent users
> > from logging into our production databases using TOAD.
> >
> > I can monitor who is logging in and how they are logging in using OEM,
> > but what I would like is to be alerted the second someone tries to log
> > in using TOAD. Can this be done?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Daniel N.
> > Oracle DBA
>
> You can check for v$session for module = 'T.O.A.D', or if the user
> hasn't renamed the toad program name, program = 'TOAD.exe', and kill
> the session. But it's trivial to even change the binary toad.exe to
> hide the 'T.O.A.D' string. Open it with a binary file editor, or even
> a text editor that is binary-file friendly such as (g)vim. Find the
> string "begin sys.dbms_application_info.set_module('T.O.A.D.', null);
> end;" and replace 'T.O.A.D' with any 7 character long string. In a
> nutshell, there's no absolute way to prevent it. You may better off
> block connections from any terminal other than designated ones using
> $TNS_ADMIN/protocol.ora (or .protocol.ora if it's before 8.1.6.2).
>
> If you wish to use product_user_profile table to restrict connections
> from third party tools such as Toad, it's not possible. That table can
> only block sqlplus connection.
>
> Yong Huang

To add to above, serve the applications that are supposed to have access to the database from a file server. Give users only read access to the executables so that they cannot change file name. Only allow those executables via a logon trigger.... Kick everything else out. Ofcourse you would need to tweek it a bit if you want users with admin rights to logon using OEM, Sqlplus etc.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Mar 05 2003 - 21:32:55 CST