Re: Oracle Issue Report

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:09:54 -0800

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <3E668F05.7C6CFF57_at_exesolutions.com>, DA says...
> >
> snip
> >
> >What is critical and has not apparently been previously documented is
> >that when using oradim with 9i
> >to recreate Windows services ... when it asks for pfile it means the
> >initSID.ora ... not the spfile.ora.
> >
> >Thought some of you might want to know in case you ever need it.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
> >

> Whenever it asks for pfile it means initSID.ora. If you want to that PFILE
> could simply be the line SPFILE=your_path_and_filename_goes_here (IIRC; maybe
> it's an IFILE line instead?). If you leave out the PFILE altogether, I would
> have expected it to pick up the default SPFILE. I don't have 9.2 to test it on,
> though, so maybe I'm talking through my hat as usual! :)
>
> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

It didn't work until I specified the initSID.ora.

What is interesting, and confirmed by Oracle support staff, is that in almost every document it say something like "use the spfile not the pfile". This is an exception. Pfile truly means the pfile.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Mar 05 2003 - 21:09:54 CST