Re: MOD/PLSQL: What's next?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 01:55:39 +0200

Hi!

You could configure a reverse proxy on your 3rd server and direct all http requests to your production server (which is in separate DMZ). This can be done using Apache, the plus is you don't have to purchase another Oracle App server license.

Another approach is to put Oracle 9iAS to your 3rd server and point it's mod_plsql to your production apps db (again through firewall). You might even make copies of those packages to separate very restricted schema, but accessing the same tables. You should make sure that the mod_plsql version with yout new 9iAS works with OWA packages in DB. If not, some hacking needs to be done, since you shouldn't replace the original OWA packages which came with apps.

3rd approach would be to install both application server and a DB instance on your new server and set up some replication from-to prod DB, thus allowing no external user to connect to your internal DB. Again, if all of the systems are in different DMZs, this approach should be the most secure. (note that the replication doesn't even have to be Oracle replication over sqlnet, it could be some kind of very restrictive replication with text file transfers or smth like that).

Tanel.
P.S. Karsten, I think BEA isn't able to run PL/SQL generated HTML as mod_plsql does?