Re: Limit on number of values for list partition?

From: M2 <me_at_quietplaceiwithnospam.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 22:11:58 GMT

Yeah, I think I was a bit confused too. I was struggling with the idea of how to partition some data that just didn't fit. I have since realised the folly of this and decided to bite the bullet and introduce a column specifically as a partition key.

This seems to look like it will work a charm using list based partitioning but alas our production database is still 8.1.7. For the life of me I cannot see how to do it range based partitions.

The "key" will contain a year and then a session code and will look something like "200340" or "200270" (the "40" and "70" being different sesmesters). Using the list based partition it was easy, create a partition for each major session and off you go. But the range based idea has me a little confused. If I have a range that says LESS THAN ('200341') (to ensure "200340" fits) then does "200270" get placed within this partition? I assume it does unless I create another range for LESS THAN ('200271') but what happens then? "200270" is seemingly suitable for both partitions. I am assuming that Oracle will go for the "best match" and that "200270" will be destined for the "200271" partition otherwise I don't understand how it can ever work. Are these assumptions valid?

Matt.