Re: Use of TEMP tablespace other than sorting

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:40:08 -0000

Comments in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd

____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Jonathan,
>
> I was going to write an explanation on why I think it will make a
difference....
> Then I decided to do a test and was not able to reproduce this
error.

I heartily approve of that approach - I wish more people would adopt it.
> But to my defense, I did see the same error on a 8.1.7 database a
while back. At that time I
> realized that the temp tablespace was actually permanent with
initial and next extent very small (64K or something).
> When I dropped the tablespace and recreated a temp tablespace (LMT
uniform allocation 64M), the error went away
> (as far as I remember - same execution plan, same temp tablespace
size). In fact in LMT's temp tablespaces,
> I have never seen this error.

I would GUESS that this is because with a small extent size whilst using a permanent tablespace for temp you hit the maxextents error - rather than an extreme space demand.
> In my case also the query was a huge one, but there was enough space
in the temp tablespace (>2G free).
> Also, the database in question was a data warehouse.
> and the hash_area_size is 4M. We did not set
hash_area_multiblock_io_count
> The block size is set to 8K.
>
> However, I might totally be offtrack out here since I never did do
any detailed testing/debugging.

Not many people have the luxury of finding out WHY something works - once they've got it working the next problem has to be addressed. I might be a little friendlier to use terms like "this happened to work for me" rather than "do this to fix your problem". The former type of thing easily becomes the seed of a myth, and at the least might waste a lot of someone else's time if they follow your advice without knowing your circumstances.