Re: - CONSOLE ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 19:23:29 +1100

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:52:14 +0000, Andre wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> At one of our customers an oracle 8.1 database server is installed. At
> this moment I am trying to run the console, but that is NOT possible.
> I get the message : "VTK-3023 In order to use the enterprise manager
> consle, you must have specified at least one management server to use.
> The following dialog will allow you to specify a management server"
>
> After this I get the "Add management server" dialog. in which I have
> to type in a management server.
>
> Now I have the following questions.
>
> 1) Do I have to create a management server ?

Yes you do. OEM works as a 3-tier architecture, meaning you talk to the management server, and the management server talks to the backend database. There must be a management server. (If you don't want one, try DBA Studio instead, which is a classic client-server tool that has many of the basic administration capabilities of OEM).

> 2) How do I create a management server?

Run the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant (or whatever it was called back in 8i -sorry, don't have one handy). It should offer to create you a new database (the Management Server only works by sotring information in a fairly small, lightweight, but fully functional Oracle database -preferably one on your desktop PC, or someother place that is easy to 'get to'), and then create the Management Server repository within that new database.

> 3) Does creating a management server have a great inpact on the server
> ??

This question doesn't really mean anything. The Management Server is really just a Process (or a service on Windows). It floats around in the ether, interacting with you and a repository database (which has nothing to do with the database(s) you are actually trying to manage. From time to time, the Management Server Process will hare off to the backend server and talk to the Intelligent Agent it finds running there. When it does that, it can arrange for the performance of scheduled jobs, or the polling of the database for monitoring of critical events or error conditions. The mere creation of a Management Server has no effect on the performance of the backend (real) servers, because it is on a separate machine. When you start asking the Management Server to poll the backend database for performance statistics or error conditions, then of course there is some overhead in that.

Regards
HJR