Re: SQL Statement Shutdown

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2003 17:47:56 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.03.03.19.11.40.446603_at_yahoo.com.au>...
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:40:47 +0000, Patrice Castet wrote:
>
> > what do you want to shutdown ? the database ? a dispatcher ?
> > by the way "shutdown abort" is like you "kill" your database, it has
> > to perform a recovery when restarting !
> > I advice you to use "shutdown immediate" which stop it cleanly instead
> > of "abort". The "abort" option must not be used except for emergency
> > issues.
> >

> Provided you have protected yourself against the loss of your current redo
> log by appropriate multiplexing and mirroring, there is zero risk in doing
> shutdown aborts. They are functionally equivalent to shutdown immediates,
> in the sense that both cause you to lose uncommitted transactions, and
> both preserve all committed transactions. There is nothing inherently
> dangerous or naughty about shutdown abort, and they are perfectly OK to
> use in situations which don't count as an emergency.

You think there is no risk in recovery? You've never seen a recovery session not work? You think there is no risk in the untrained doing shutdown abort and attempting recovery? You've never seen a site where they do shutdown abort because they don't understand what is preventing the instance from shutting down immediate? You've never seen a situation where instances are repeatedly aborted while recovering? You've never seen recovery documented incorrectly by Oracle? You've never seen Oracle ask for logs that don't exist? You've never heard of support telling people to use files that documentation says are not needed for recovery? You've never seen people restore files they are _not_ supposed to restore?

"Appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder. About as much fun as a sharp stick.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Naughty is fun if you are doing it right!