Re: Getting sysdate across a DB link

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:00:49 +0100

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 15:04:47 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>> If nothing helps, let's read the manual:
>>
>> 'SYSDATE returns the current date and time. Requires no arguments. In
>> distributed SQL statements, this function returns the date and time on
>> your local database.'
>>
>> (from the 8i SQL Reference Manual).
>>
>> Jaap.
>
>He knows that. He is trying to get the time from the other machines.
>
>With respect to your previous post ... get_time can not be used to get what
>he needs.
>
>Daniel Morgan

If the OP tries to get the remote time by issueing

select sysdate remote from dual_at_t

then I assume he *doesn't* know that SYSDATE returns the local time, even when used as a pseudo-column of a remote table.

I'm curious: why can get_time not be used? I guess it is because the epoch is arbitrarily set when a database is started and is not equal for different databases?

Jaap. Received on Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:00:49 CST