Re: ODBC Driver for Windows

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:36:06 -0600

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:48:36 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>Mark Sanders wrote:
>
>> We teach Oracle to undergraduates.
>>
>> I want to provide an ODBC driver so they can import their Oracle
>> tables into Access.
>>
>> Can I fix things so that the list of tables they can import only
>> includes their own tables???
>>
>> At the moment it also contains hundreds of views to which they - as
>> members of PUBLIC - have access.
>>
>> Obviously this does not stop them finding and selecting their own
>> tables, but this gives so much scope for confusion and errors that I'm
>> trying to avoid it.
>>
>> Thanks for all help
>
>Your post is a bit frightening. First because you are using MS Access to
>teach Oracle which makes me fear your students will learn nothing and
>second (and please pardon me for saying so) the appearance that the
>instructors don't know Oracle either based on the above question.
>
>If this is an academic institution, rather than a for-profit, contact me
>off-line and I will help you.
>
>Daniel Morgan
>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp

I agree.

My first reaction as I read the OP, as soon as he mentioned Access, was to say to myself "I thought you were teaching Oracle."

Then I saw the question. Now, I *don't* consider myself all that strong, but even I know several ways to solve the "problem" -- some of which are technical and some of which are 'philosophical adjustments'.

Kind of reminds me of some interns I worked with many years ago as they were struggling through a COBOL class. Turns out everything except the cobol code itself was given to them, so they had no idea of the environment in which the programs actually ran, or event that there was an 'environment' outside of the compile-and-execute wrapper they were given. Received on Mon Mar 03 2003 - 12:36:06 CST