Re: Mysterious query

From: Peter Michelson <pete77r_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 06:38:18 GMT

"Tim X" <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote in message news:874r6nwlbr.fsf_at_tiger.rapttech.com.au...

> Peter> Here's a poser: I have a Delphi 6 Enterprise app using the BDE
> Peter> to connect to Oracle 8.1.7.3. I've been getting sporadic
> Peter> "Ambiguous Column Name" errors from Oracle. When I ran SQL
> Peter> Trace it revealed an impossible query: somehow, a query which
> Peter> contains all fields from all of my database tables was being
> Peter> processed. This query even contains fields from tables in the
> Peter> database which aren't being used in the Delphi application.
> Peter> However, it does not seem to contain any key fields.
>
> Peter> Does anyone have any idea what might cause this behavior?
> Peter> Could this result from bad memory on the database server?
>
> I doubt the cause would be bad memory on the server - I mean, what
> would be the odds of bad memory resulting in SQL which was still
> legally formed?

I think the odds are slim. The reason I asked the question, though, is that in another part of the SQL trace I saw the following, which includes the token "BADMEM":

CrystalAPS 8e8-97c EXIT SQLSetStmtAttr with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)

  SQLHSTMT            01091EF8
  SQLINTEGER                  27 <SQL_ATTR_ROW_ARRAY_SIZE>
  SQLPOINTER          0x00000001 (BADMEM)
  SQLINTEGER                  -5

I don't have the foggiest idea what that means, but it sounds like "bad memory". I have asked this question in another posting, but nobody seems to know. Do you?

This segment of the trace file pertains to a different process than the application that is generating the mysterious query.

Thanks,
Peter