Re: number of logical partitions in an extended parition

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 19:52:11 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.02.26.20.10.52.463864_at_yahoo.com.au...

> I question why any application thinks it needs 120 tablespaces anyway.
> Size doesn't mean lots of tablespaces. Tablespaces should break the
> database up into manageable bits and pieces, each of which shares similar
> growth characteristics and backup needs, and which gives you adequate data
> availability whilst offline maintenance takes place somewhere else in the
> database. I'd be astonished if PS really needed 120 tablespaces.

Howard,

Have you ever seen a Peoplesoft on Oracle implementation? I have (just the HR module).
There are over 3000 tables. No primary keys, no referential integrity, and no constraints (except not null on varchar2s and numbers, in response to which the application inserts a single space and zero respectively). If you don't believe this (and I wouldn't blame you), ask Nuno.

Regards,
Paul Received on Sat Mar 01 2003 - 13:52:11 CST