Re: Global Temp Tables - lots of redo in 9i, why? how to fix?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 07:47:50 -0000

There seems to be a bug in 9 with global temporary tables. When doing array inserts, Oracle 8 generates one redo record per
BLOCK affected in v8. Under v9, you get
one redo record per ROW inserted. Since a lot of the redo record is typically overhead rather than data in GTTs, the relative
change is dramatic.

NB A slightly clearer test, if you have the system to yourself.

    select * from v$sysstat where name like '%redo%'; before and after the test, and find the differences.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd

____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Dean Smith" <idontthinkso_at_nope.com> wrote in message

> I found that tons of redo is generated when uses Global Temporary
Tables in
> 9i. Here was my test. I tested in 8.1.7, 9i and 9i Release 2. 8i
does not
> have the same problem.
>
> 1) Drop large redo logs and create small ones (64k in my case) so
I can