Re: 9i install quit right after setting installation types

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:59:38 +1100

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:27:54 +0100, Konstantinos M wrote:

> I know it's coming up frequently, I spent 1 working day reading old & new
> posts from google. Besides I cannot see why one needs to raise tension when
> they can simply go on and read the next post.

You know, there was a time here when people used to ask 'Can I switch off rollback generation, because it slows me down, and I know I don't want to rollback'.

To which the standard reply at the time was 'Of course not, because it's not just your rollback, but might be needed by other readers of the data you're modifying, and by Oracle itself, for read-consistency purposes'.

So please understand: your posts here are not just your posts. They get archived at Google, and lots of other people refer to them there, as well as here. And if there's the slightest possibility of those people benefitting by my pointing out the illogicality of your thoughts about the Pentium 4 bug, or the benefits of clean installs, so be it. I'll reply, and if you consider that 'raising tension', tough luck.

If you can't do a clean install, then start ensuring your 8i environment is 'clean', and properly configured. Read the installation notes. Make sure your environment variables are set. Check your registry to make sure it isn't kakking up your environment. And understand that fundamentally, the problem is likely your box, not the OUI, so it's there that any solutions will be found.

You could also try sand-boxing your 9i install by doing it within a VMware virtual machine in the first instance. If it works there, then it's definitely not your hardware, but your registry/environment. And having got that far, you can dispense with vmware, clean the thing up, and install properly.

And since you provided no details whatsoever about your server, its configuration, its specs or anything else, you can't expect anything more than such general advice.

HJR Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 12:59:38 CST