Re: Data Warehouse - extract methods

From: yankeemike <member25726_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:26:49 +0000

Originally posted by Dave
> Hi,
>
> This has probably been covered before, but it is very well hidden!
> I'm about
> to build a data warehouse, and am discovering that the schema
> design is the
> easy bit. One of my biggest challenges has been designing the extract
> processes. I'd appreciate it if anyone would be kind enough to
> share their
> experiences regarding the "E" bit of ETL. Here's my situation:
>

> Prerequisites:
>
> 1. All the data sources are production Oracle8i databases. We don't
> have the
> option of upgrading these in the near future.
> 2. Anything other than the very cheapest commercial ETL tools are
> out, I'm
> afraid. Data Junction's ETL fitted our budget (the basic
> version is very
> cheap), but its features weren't adequate for some of our complex
> transformation rules.
>
> Dave.

Did you check Sunopsis? From my experience, it can do automatically a lot of what you need, and it's not a lot more expensive that Data Junction while being a lot more powerful. And I have also heard (from their sales reps, so it's to be taken cautiously!) that it saves you 80-90% of time over manual coding of ETL processes. But even if it's only 50% it might be worth it.
I remember they offer a free eval on their site.