Re: another OEM issue

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:08:43 -0600

On 28 Feb 2003 12:23:30 -0800, empete2000_at_yahoo.com (Pete's) wrote:

>Is your tnsnames.ora file updated properly? i.e. Are you able to
>connect from the OEM Management Server via sqlplus to those db's on
>Solaris? If not, no event or job will work, or even trying to open up
>OEM via the tree listing.
>
>HTH,
>Pete's
>

>Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<r15t5vsi92iuicgapdn751q530r6s5kgdh_at_4ax.com>...
>> Subject: another OEM issue
>>
>> Platform: OEM 2.2.0.0; management server on Win2k, console on NT4
>> Databases: Oracle 8.0.6 on NT; Oracle 8.1.7 on NT, Win2k, and Sun
>> Solaris
>>
>> After some trial an error and help from the ng, I was able to get OEM
>> to discover one of my newly acquired Solaris nodes. But now that they
>> are discovered, when I try to open a database the Solaris nodes, I get
>> an ora-12545: connect failed because target host or object does not
>> exist. I am able to connect from SQLPlus. I am able to open any of
>> the other (all Windows based) DBs inside of OEM console.
>>
>> Setting that aside, I tried to set up some monitoring events. I go to
>> Event - Create Event, give the event a name, add the Solaris based DB
>> to the list (the only one for this event) and go to the 'tests' tab.
>> The only available test is Database UpDown. So I go to a previously
>> registered event on another db. Double-click the event returns "The
>> test: oracle/rdbms/fault/alert may not have been installed. Cannot
>> proceed with current operation."
>>
>> I do continue to receive alerts in my e-mail.

Actually, the TNSNAMES on the box hosting the management server only has an entry for the repository DB, which is also on that box. And, from within OEM console -- on the management server box or on my desktop -- I am able to open every DB on every box *except* my newly acquired Solaris box. None of which are in the mgmt server's TNSNAMES. It's obvious the OEM management server does not use the tnsnames file, but rather entries in the repository. And that does not explain why the only test listed to add to an event is 'DB up/down', nor why when I try to open a previously registered event, I get "The test: oracle/rdbms/fault/alert may not have been installed. Cannot proceed with current operation." Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 17:08:43 CST