Re: Which columns use sequences (in 8i)?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:14:16 -0000

"John Peltonen" <jpthrowaway_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9c02f961.0302262010.3121942f_at_posting.google.com...
> I'm looking to migrate a tablespace and I need to know which columns
> in the tablespace have data generated by sequences. Does anyone have
> a quick way/suggestion for how I can find this out?
>
> My best guess is to write code that queries DBA_Triggers for all
> mentions of a specified sequence name, although that's a pain because
> the trigger_body is stuck in a LONG data type.
>
> Is there anything more efficient/quicker/easier out there for this?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Unfortunately, there is *NO* reliable way out of this. And even if you could, it wouldn't necessarily help to look at what the triggers do.

In Oracle, there is *NO* direct association between sequences and tables. It depends *entirely* on what the application does.

Sorry, but there it is.

Regards,
Paul Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 16:14:16 CST