Re: 9i install quit right after setting installation types

From: Konstantinos M <kostasmelis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:27:54 +0100

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E5F9364.FA69D62C_at_exesolutions.com...
> Konstantinos M wrote:
>
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> > > I wish we could clear this nonsense up once and for all. Oracle 8i
(that's
> > > EIGHT EYE) was released before the Pentium 4 processor, and hence the
> > > Pentium 4 bug. Oracle 9i was released after the Pentium 4 processor
had
> > > been around for a long time, and hence THERE IS NO PENTIUM 4 BUG IN
9I.

> > > There are zero problems installing 9i on a Windows machine that is
> > > *clean*.
> > >
> > > And that's all the advice I can give you.
> > >
> > > Sorry
> > > HJR
> >
> > Howard, I think you need a vacation.
> > Anyway, since we both agree it's not the P4 bug (stupid me tried
everything
> > cause I was desperate), and apart from yelling, do you have a solution ?
If
> > not, your advice besides wrong (*) is completely useless and your answer
> > irritating. It's like saying to a guy with a half loaded truck and
> > problems that they would not have problems loading an empty one. Um ok,
> > yeah, thanks I guess.
> > I take the chance to mention here that older (2002) threads in Metalink
with
> > the exact same problem are unfortunately still open.
> >
> > (*) At home I had a clean w2k machine with NOTHING on, where I tried to
> > install 9i. The installer told me at the beginning that it cannot be
> > installed without service pack 1 (which I hadn't installed) and after I
> > installed the latter smoothly OUI aborted at 30something% saying that
the
> > SP1 was not installed. So much for the "zero problems installing 9i on a
> > Windows machine that is*clean*"
>
> Be easy on Howard on this one. This issue has come up so frequently that
he is
> just reflecting the feeling of many that a search of the google.com
archives
> would have saved him having to post the same advice for the zillionth
time.

I know it's coming up frequently, I spent 1 working day reading old & new posts from google. Besides I cannot see why one needs to raise tension when they can simply go on and read the next post. Plus I said I don't think it's this problem anyway.

> Now to the problem. Were I in your position I would remove all traces of
Oracle.
> Meaning run oradim, remove all file on the hard disk including those under
> PROGRAM FILES, clean out the registry, and then do a cold boot of the
system
> before reinstalling from scratch.

I am afraid that is not an option. The machine has Oracle IFS installed used for development every day, I cannot uninstall it. Thanks anyway though.

Kostas Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 12:27:54 CST