Re: Oracle9i and Perl.

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:20:59 +0100

Stephan Bressler wrote:

>>With the Windows precompiled Binary from Activestate
>>(http://www.activestate.com) , I've had
>>no problems whatsoever to connect to 9iR2 Databases: The DBD::Oracle
>>Module they provide is compatible (or I was just doing so trivial
>>plain basic stuff that I didn't realize it wasn't ;-))

> Not the server's rdbms version is relevant, but the client's version. What
> installation do you use on the site you run your perl script? I assume it's
> some 8i-version.
>
> Regards
> Stephan

Seems like my last reply didn't made it through, but anyway I did some more research:

On my testbox (win2k) I've got two orahomes, 1 9i and 1 8i. The default home is 9i. I removed the 8i\bin entry from the PATH variable and rebooted the server.

My perl is still working, another strict 8i application not (missing orasql8.dll). So I still believe 8i is not necessary but then maybe I'm missing something? Perhaps the path to 8i is somewhere linked in at compilation/installation time? But then, a search through the Perl\site directory revealed nothing.

Still puzzled, I uninstall the DBD-Oracle Module (using PPM): of course, the application won't run anymore. Reinstall module: everything's fine again.

BTW, it's ActiveState 5.6.1.633 downloaded about 4 weeks ago, [1.12] DBD-Oracle Driver for the DBI module (that's what the Perl Package Manager says).

Regards,
Holger Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 10:20:59 CST