Re: (long) Sniffing redo logs to maintain cache consistency?

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 11:03:40 GMT

Following up on Andrej Gabara, 28 Feb 2003:

> That's not much more precise than "business logic", if at all.
> Your definition hinges on the definition of "business transaction
> request".

Yes, as defined in the use case.

> But anyhow, I do think we're on the same page on that one
> anyhow.

I think so.

>> There are many solutions.  One that is very dear to the OO brigade
>> (but is impossible to implement) is the concept that all data can
>> be cached and serialization should only be done at startup and
>> shutdown.

> I never argued in favor of this.

But I can guarantee you that your idea of caching Java objects and handling lock issues inside the Java cache is heading in that direction. It's a common "pattern" in Java design. Seen it everywhere.

>> How can the Java people learn if no one is teaching them
>> anything?  All they hear all day long is bloody marketing
>> rubbish!

> This bothers me a bit .. "How can Java people learn"... Sounds
> very condencending.

I'm sorry. I should have said: "How can Java people learn data management design issues and solutions if no one is teaching them any of that?"

As for the marketing rubbish, I stand by that. Our chief Java designer has this week cancelled his attendance of a Sun "advanced Java/J2EE design" course precisely because of this.

Instead of learning advanced design, he sat for two days on a 5-day course that dealt mainly with the advantages of J2EE in handling access to a 3-table schema and how to handle events with a servlet! He got so fed-up with it, he left the course and asked for a refund.

> Please give me some references (books, articles) that I can
> read up on. Contrary to Sy's belief, I do have a brain, and I'm
> willing and capable of learning, so try me.

Let me introduce you to the most used reply here:

it depends <g>

on what you want to learn about. The field of database design is not something you're gonna learn in depth in a day or two or with a single book. It's too wide for that. Same goes for the advanced tuning stuff.

Look the following up in Amazon, by author:

I do recommend you get the Dave Ensor/Ian Stevenson books to learn about general Oracle database design issues and ideas. And also advanced stuff. There are two. They are a wee-bit out of date technically, but the principles aren't.

Any of the Chris Date books are good to learn the theory side of RDBMS design.

Anything by Steve Feuerstein can only help in getting you up to speed on advanced PL/SQL stuff that you can effectively use. In particular, look at anything relating to use of object parameters and Oracle object types as parameters. Those are a lot more efficient than colum by column. His latest book on advanced PL/SQL design/coding is superb.

Jonathan's book is excellent technically, but it really can't help you unless you already know a LOT about database design and tuning. Still, it's good to know about tricks on how to squeeze the best out of existing Oracle features. And the chapters on the object stuff are very interesting reading.

If you can get hold of a general book on relational database design, you know the usual: referential integrity, normalization, de-normalization, etc. Those are always useful to "expand the mind". There is one that is the very best I've ever read and I still use it. It was written by professor Nijssen, many years ago when he was at the Queensland university. It deals with a thing called "Conceptual Schema Design".

If you can get hold of it, I can promise you you'll have the best theory and methodology I've ever seen for application and database design. Bar none. But it's hard as nuts to find and my only copy is not for sale... ;)

There are quite a few PDF white papers in the Oracle Technology Network about Java design issues. They deal mostly with their 9iAS appserver, but there are some very good ideas there. Have a look around OTEN: it's a free subscription and they don't spam. Have a look also at dbazine.com, some good stuff there but you gotta filter some of the chaff. You're not yet at the stage where the performance stuff becomes relevant. Design is more important for you right now and what's possible with Oracle.

HTH

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto