Re: What's the best alternative to this pl/sql ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:22:44 +0000

Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:

> As compared to not using prepared statements, it will... Maybe I dod not
> make that clear enough. Comparison was uprepared vs prepared client
> queries, not client vs server queries.

If you are refering to the hard parses vs. soft parses by Oracle, then yes I agree. There is a huge difference in performance when dealing with 100's of 1000's of SQLs in the db engine when it comes to hard and soft parsing.

If you are refering to compiled machine code containing a SQL statement (e.g. C++ clients) vs. a PL/SQL proc containing the same SQL statement... the latter is likely to be faster, even when invoked from a C++ client.

Not too mention that the latter is also many times more flexible, easily tunable, easier debugabble and traceable.. and just makes a lot MORE sense than doing it in the client.

All said, wrt to original poster's problem, the above are moot. His problem is his lack of understanding on how to effectively use PL/SQL as a programming language.

Which is something that his problem will teach him (experience and understanding) if he uses PL/SQL, instead of thinking that something like C++ can solve it.

Problems are the teachers of understanding and experience. That is, if you choose them to be. (a bit of Bene Gesserit wisdom ;-)

--
Billy