Re: DBA-Developer or DBA-Sys admin : which is better combination ?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 22:53:33 -0800

pramod_at_rtimes.com (Pramod Ramachandran) wrote in message news:<6616e304.0302240422.11fc59e6_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a software professional currently pursuing OCP (8i). I have
> succesfully completed three modules out of five. In fact it might not
> help me much in my current job since ours is a small Indian company
> and I dont have to do any tuning or backup-recovery job often, but has
> the responsibility of PL/SQL support and some Java development as
> well.
>
> I am two years experienced in the above said DBA-support cum developer
> role. I would like to pursue a better challenging career as
> DBA/Developer in Europe or America.
>
> Now I am asking question myself whether to concentrate more on Oracle
> with Unix or Solaris, both OS's on which I have only little idea (we
> use Win2000 server).
>
> Another option is to concentrate on Oracle DBA with development with
> PL/SQL and Java.
>
> The latter seems to be more confident for me as well as I have certain
> experience as developer.
>
> But I dont know what are the prospects for a developer-DBA combination
> of skills. Some people say it is always better opportunities for a
> person who is a system admin turned DBA.
>
> Do anyone want to comment on this ? What would be best combination of
> skills for me ?
>
> All advices welcome.

well, given my choice between having only "create session" and "create table" vs. having "alter system" and resticted session, I'd rather have a user account that has the DBA role granted to it. one kind of becomes accustomed to having privileges ...

but if they only want to grant you "alter user" ... so be it. Good enough for me.

Paul Received on Fri Feb 28 2003 - 00:53:33 CST