Re: Simple problem...

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 17:15:28 +1100

 Telemachus> But I can't find an easy solution.  For 817 without
 Telemachus> rolling your own PL/SQL func...  Is there a fast builtin
 Telemachus> way to do IS_A_NUMBER('STRING') or is_a_float() or
 Telemachus> is_an_integer()

 Telemachus> i.e. given a string return true if the string represents
 Telemachus> a valid number or false. Or do most people trap an error  Telemachus> from TO_NUMBER ?

The only way I've found of doing this is to try formatting as a number and return true if no exception, else catch the exception and return false - therefore, no there is no faster way of doing this than creating your own functions in plsql.

Tim

--
Tim Cross