Re: Oracle 8i does NOT recommend using 'analyze table',is this true?

From: Stan <stan0074_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 05:42:49 GMT

added to what sybrand said...

dbms_stats gathers only stats that are required for the cbo to decide on the optimal plan. for a table, it gathers number of rows, avg. row length and number of blocks containing data but it doesn't gather avg. free space or chained rows etc irrelevant for the cbo and analyze collect them all.

if you use partitions, then dbms_stats gathers more accurate stats than analyze does, for a global partitioned table/index.

hth
Stan

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2003 20:24:26 -0800, mariocheung_at_msn.com (Mario Cheung)
> wrote:
>

>>And why ? thanks!

> because ANALYZE has been superseded by the dbms_stats package
> which
> - is capable of using multiple processors
> - generates more accurate statistics
> - has the option of working with various sets of statistics
> - can analyze tables which have stale statistics only
>
> regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

-Stan