Re: What's the best alternative to this pl/sql ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:44:34 -0800

Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:

> "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message
> > Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
> >
> > > Otherwise, save yourself some time and create the SQL on the client.
> Make
> > > sure you use bind variables/parameters and prepared statements so that
> at
> > > least the parsed queries remain in the cache to speed up performance of
> > > repeat SQL statements. It should give you a speed boost anyway.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand this. It sounds like bollocks to me.
> >
> > How can you say that shifting the code from PL/SQL to something like C++
> or
> > Delphi or Perl or whatever, will boost speed?
>
> As compared to not using prepared statements, it will... Maybe I dod not
> make that clear enough. Comparison was uprepared vs prepared client
> queries, not client vs server queries.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Billy is correct no matter to what you were referring. The only things you can do with a compiled application that will provide a performance improvement is actions that are CPU intensive such as brute-force calculations. Compiled code will not read or write to the disk one femtosecond faster.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 10:44:34 CST