Re: General question on index compression and performance

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 08:42:22 -0800

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:<b3ht1n$1m3glk$1_at_ID-152732.news.dfncis.de>...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if index compression can have *negative* performance
> impacts to applications.

Generally, if you have fast CPUs and slow disks, compress indexes if you can. If you have slow CPUs and fast disks, don't do it. I think the reason is obvious.

How many CPUs do you have and how fast are they? What kind of disks (rpm?) and what's the RAID level? Veritas or UFS...

Yong Huang Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 10:42:22 CST