Re: ORA-08177

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:42:08 -0800

Karsten Farrell wrote:

> no_spam_lsteinmetz_at_jakrause.com said...
> > Hello NG,
> > I have a problem with my oracle database:
> >
> > I have to applications which are working with the databse: one datawriter
> > (writes data into the database: INSERT / UPDATE) and one archiver (archives
> > and deletes data from the database: UPDATE / DELETE). This both applications
> > run on different computers in differnet sessions.
> > I works fine for a time but after a unspecified time period the achiver
> > application gets the folling error message from the database:
> >

> > ORA-08177 can't serialize access for this transaction
> >
> > The oracle help says:
> > ORA-08177 can't serialize access for this transaction
> > Cause: Encountered data changed by an operation that occurred after the
> > start of this serializable transaction.
> > Action: In read/write transactions, retry the intended operation or
> > transaction.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the exact reason is. Can someone give me some hints,
> > please.
> >
> > Thanx!
> >
> > Greets Lars
> >

> Don't know what language your applications are written in. When I type
> ORA-08177 in Google, I get quite a few hits talking about this error in
> Java. Even if your apps aren't in Java, you might find a clue in one of
> those hits.
> --
> /Karsten
> DBA > retired > DBA

From metalink:

It is important to note that when using serializable transactions, the application needs to be coded to handle an ORA-8177 error. There are several documentation bugs filed (1089910/915553) requesting that the documentation provide further details of the circumstances under which this error can be signalled.

I've seen it before with the bug and after applying the appropriate patch it never appeared again.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 19:42:08 CST