Re: Patches and Patch Sets

From: Phil Kaufman <philk_at_dbcsmartsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:53:25 -0500

For those interested, I directly received a far better response then Sybrand's attempted response; here is the jist of that response:

Oracle patchsets are cumulative. If you are installing 9.0.1.4 patchset, it includes all patchsets released prior to 9.0.1.4. There might be minipacks that fixes particular problems and will eventually be included in the next major patchset.

I do recommend reading the patchset/miniset related help files and then searching the Metalink regarding this patchset (there might be new problems introduced by the new patchset and you do not want to install a problematic patchset - if others already encountered problems with it). After this reading/searching, if you are convinced that this patchset need to be applied,
then apply it.

note: most Oracle patchets can be removed after the installation - details are
explained in the related readme or help file.

hope this proves useful