Re: number of logical partitions in an extended parition

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:10:53 +1100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:46:22 +0000, Steve wrote:

> Perhaps more OS related but..
> We are looking at creating PeopleSoft on Oracle using RAC on Win2k,
>
> PS has a lot of TS's, in our case we will need aprox 120.
>
> The question being, can we create more than 32 logical partitions
> within an extended partition? We we try and do this through the Dell
> open Manage Config Assist and after we create 32 partitions the option
> to create another logical volume is greyed out.
>
> If this is expected behavior then fine, however, I cannot find an docs
> that say there is a a limit on this..infact ..from MS
> technet.."whereas you can create an unlimited number of logical drives
> per disk"
>
> Could this be a problem with the dell open manage config tool or
> simply expected behavior?
>
> tks
>
> steve

Warning: slightly flippant answer!

I don't know exactly how many logical partitions you can have, but the real question is: why have any at all? You only need all these partitions if you are mad, bad and dangerous enough to like RACing with raw partitions!! Get your hands on the Oracle Cluster File System, and a single logical partition will suffice, because you then create ordinary datafiles as per normal.

I question why any application thinks it needs 120 tablespaces anyway. Size doesn't mean lots of tablespaces. Tablespaces should break the database up into manageable bits and pieces, each of which shares similar growth characteristics and backup needs, and which gives you adequate data availability whilst offline maintenance takes place somewhere else in the database. I'd be astonished if PS really needed 120 tablespaces.

But in any case: use the OCFS, and you can have as many of the blighters as you want.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 14:10:53 CST