Re: Question about user configuration

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:05:43 +1100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:21:33 +0000, Oradba Linux wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:32:49 +0000, pixelmeow wrote:
>

>> After much looking, I have to post my question. I need to know
>> how to edit a user's information in DBA Studio or Security Manager
>> so that each user can only log on one time; no concurrent sessions
>> allowed from any particular username/pw.
>>
>> I've read a bit in Oracle DBA 101, went into the Security section
>> of DBA Studio, made a new Profile, selected "1" concurrent
>> sessions per user. I then went to each user and assigned that
>> user to this profile (or assigned the profile to the user?). I
>> must be misunderstanding this, because I still can have each user
>> log on multiple times.
>>
>> I've got 8 users, one profile, all 8 users under this profile.
>> What I want is for each of the 8 to only be able to log on one
>> time only, so that user 1 is logged on once and only once, and so
>> on. The thing is, they are connecting via Forms 4.5 application,
>> from over TCP/IP, but does that matter? They can open the app
>> more than once, apparently, and log on to both instances of the
>> app. I want this to be "not allowed".
>>
>> Any pointers/advice appreciated, and thanks!
> What is your resource_limit set to ? I think it must be set to > true for profiles to take effect

Correct. A profile can contain both 'passwordy' things (such as the maximum number of times a password can be used) and 'resourcy' things, such as how many concurrent sessions a user can have. The passwordy bits only made an appearance in version 8.0, and if set are always 'on' (ie, in force) without any additional effort on the part of the DBA.

But the resourcy bits have been around for much longer, and need to be explicitly switched on by setting resource_limit=true in the init.ora (and bouncing the instance). Merely granting the relevant profile is not enough to have these components of a profile enforced.

Personally, I hate the way a single entity (the profile) behaves in two quite different ways at the same time like this. But that's the way it is.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 14:05:43 CST