Patches and Patch Sets

From: Phil Kaufman <philk_at_dbcsmartsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:47:04 -0500

Can someone reply to this with a quick note on how to patch an Oracle installation (I have 9.0.1 installed, but I'm looking for a generic answer here). Specifically, I noticed on metalink that Oracle provides hundreds of patches for 9.0.1, a hand full of patchsets/minipacks, and I was wondering how to sift through these, and if these were cumulative or not.

For example, with a base 9.0.1 install, if I wish to patch my installation, do I install patchset 2517300 (9.0.1.4 PATCH SET FOR ORACLE DATABASE SERVER), followed by any patches I think I want thereafter? Or rather, do I install patchsets 1968474m 2072050, etc, then deal with patches.

Also, what are basic steps involved in patching an installation. Any reference to documentation on this type of action is greatly appreciated also.

Thanks. Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:47:04 CST