OEM - second baby step

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:20:27 -0600

Platform:

Oracle 8.1.7.0 on Solaris
OEM management server on Win2K
OEM Console on NT4

After a few false starts, I was able to get my OEM console to discover a unix node that hosts two db's. Now that the node is discovered, and the two db's are listed in the navigator pane, when I try to open one of them, I get an ora-12545. (More on those trials in my original thread on the subject, if anyone is interested.)

My first thought was that I need to add entries to the TNSNAMES on the Win2K box that hosts the mgmt svr. But that TNSNAMES only has entries for a couple of DB's that are local to that box --- no entries for the dozens of other DB's we are currently managing via OEM. Now, I thought that when the OEM console connected to the management server, the console was just a front end, and it was the mgmt svr that acually connected to the db's. Obviously, *that* was wrong.

So that brings me to my desktop. There, I already have entries in TNSNAMES for these dbs, and am able to connect to them with tools other than OEM, including SQLPlus. The only difference I can see in the db's OEM will connect to and those it won't, is that in the OEM Navigator pane, the db's I can connect to are listed as 'mydb.world', whereas the newly discovered ones that OEM cannot connect (returning the 12545) are listed as 'mydb' - notice the lack of any domain info.

So where do I go from here? FWIW, My sqlnet.ora file has DEFAULT_DOMAIN=world. Looks like I might be caught betwixt and between, with my old entries requireing .world, and my new entries 'forbidding' it. Or am I chasing a red herring? Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 12:20:27 CST