Re: ORA-12514: TNS error

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:23:48 +0100

On 26 Feb 2003 08:57:12 -0800, dmagnatek_at_yahoo.com (David) wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I have having trouble connecting my client PC to our Oracle server
>using SQL*Plus. I am getting the "ORA-12514: TNS: listener could not
>resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor" error. It worked
>Friday, Firewall installed Sunday, does not work on Monday. Obviously
>the firewall (as none of the client or server .ORA files have been
>changed in months). My TNS uses the standard 1521 port. Do I need to
>open this port on the firewall? If so, will that work? What about
>the dispatcher? I am under the impression it needs a range of ports
>open. I am not a DBA here but have been given the responsibility to
>get the thing working. Any direction you can provide would be
>helpful. BTW, Oracle is running on a Win2000 box.
>
>My client PC and Server are both behind the firewall. No external
>access currently (however, I would like to get this working at some
>future point).
>
>Thanks in advance for your insight.
>
>David

The service_name in the connect_data section in tnsnames.ora doesn't match the service_name in init<sid>.ora for the database.

Has NOTHING to do with firewalls, and TCP/IP ports!!!!

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 12:23:48 CST