ORA-12514: TNS error

From: David <dmagnatek_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2003 08:57:12 -0800

Hey all,

I have having trouble connecting my client PC to our Oracle server using SQL*Plus. I am getting the "ORA-12514: TNS: listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor" error. It worked Friday, Firewall installed Sunday, does not work on Monday. Obviously the firewall (as none of the client or server .ORA files have been changed in months). My TNS uses the standard 1521 port. Do I need to open this port on the firewall? If so, will that work? What about the dispatcher? I am under the impression it needs a range of ports open. I am not a DBA here but have been given the responsibility to get the thing working. Any direction you can provide would be helpful. BTW, Oracle is running on a Win2000 box.

My client PC and Server are both behind the firewall. No external access currently (however, I would like to get this working at some future point).

Thanks in advance for your insight.

David Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 10:57:12 CST