Re: Oracle 9i and Active Directory

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:46:49 +0100

Thomas Fricker wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone have experience in implementing Oracle 9i SR2 in a Microsoft
> Active Directory Service?
> What we want ist to authenticate our Oracle User with the passwords used in
> Active Directory Service.
> We are planning to use Oracle 9i SR2 Standard Edition on W2000.
>
> Accordīng to Oracle Documentation it is necessary to license Oracle Advanced
> Security (which requires Oracle Enterprise Edition) to use Active Directory
> to manage an enterprise role. Since we want to manage only our users
> 'globally' I wonder if this here also the case.
>
> Thanks for any reply.
> Thomas Fricker

Hi Thomas,

I was very interested in your post, but we both where waiting in vain for an answer. But if I understand you correctly, all you want to do is to have externally authenticated users using the NTS authentication scheme.

If I didn't got the documentation wrong, Oracle just uses the classic authentication method that was standard with NT up to version 4.

This will still work with an Windows 2K Domain/AD environment, no matter in which mode (native or mixed) your Active Directory is working. At least this is my current information, as NT4 or samba can still be members in an AD Domain, whithout being AD aware.

I might have the chance to test this scenario this week, if so I 'll be back to you on this topic.

Best regards

Holger Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 01:46:49 CST