Re: What's the best alternative to this pl/sql ?

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:42:21 -0800

> approach with smallest changes to do this ? I have thought of doing this
in
> application level, But this may cause slow action as parsing of the select
> statement is long. Please advise.

That may be the best way... You may end up doing dynamic SQL (look it up in the docs) on the database anyway, so that's still parse at runtime.

If you want to write a single query that is parsed at compile time, you need to know how your data is structured and then see if it is possible/economical.

Otherwise, save yourself some time and create the SQL on the client. Make sure you use bind variables/parameters and prepared statements so that at least the parsed queries remain in the cache to speed up performance of repeat SQL statements. It should give you a speed boost anyway.

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Tue Feb 25 2003 - 10:42:21 CST