Re: Oracle direction on triggers

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:35:26 -0600

On 24 Feb 2003 14:37:49 -0800, nsouto_at_optushome.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote:

>Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<8qek5vs8psuifc57o8k14smlc8678f7eck_at_4ax.com>...
>

>> We settled on using a trigger and the OTG to keep a DB2 table
>> populated with changes from the Oracle table. The lead analyst on the
>> Oracle app got upset over this approach, claiming it would wreck
>> performance.
>
>He could be right there. How long does the populate take and
>how often is it executed? That might be his concern.
>What you might need is a scheduled job for this?

Questions he has been unable to answer. Just the statement "our transaction has to wait for the trigger to do its work." Well, in an absolute sense, that is true, but he has been unable to quantify that wait, which leads me to belive that it is negligible.

And as it turns out, the app that requested the trigger doesn't *really* need real-time updates to their table, so we are going to investigate a batch procedure.