Re: too much references to old archive log in v$history_log

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2003 16:02:54 -0800

samuel.kortas4_at_libertysurf.fr (Samuel Kortas) wrote in message news:<52559e22.0302240315.1d0f7a8f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi there,
>
> Could some one give me a clue on this concern? :
>
> I am running an Oracle 9i database and I'm backuping it quite intensively.
>
> I noticed that when I do a
>
> SQL> select * from v$log_history;
>
> I get back the whole lists of backup files that ever have been used by
> the system.
>
> I would assume that there must be a parameter limitating the number
> of archive file names remember by oracle to save disk space and
> do not let control file grows for ever... But what shall I do exactly?
>
> Things I already tried with no success :
>
> I tried to set up MAXLOGHISTORY, shutdown and restarted my database, but
> still have the same number of archivelog file name in v$log_history...
>
> While in Rman, I run DELETE ARCHIVELOG.
> The unused file disapeared, but their references in v$log_history is
> still there?
>
> Thanks in advance for Any help or advice or comment!
>
> Samuel Kortas

The number of files kept in the log history is most likely kept in the controlfile. If you execute the following statement: (assuming that you have the privileges to do so)

SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;

And examine trace file created in \udump, you will see the current maxloghistory parameter specified. I believe that you need to re-create the controlfile to alter this parameter, which means that your existing loc history will be cleared.

hth,

Paul Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 18:02:54 CST