Re: Installing Oracle

From: Marc Thomas <admin_at_prismatic-effulgence.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:14:39 -0000

Not too sure about Redhat but SuSE has some pretty reasonable information on their website (including the rather handy orarun8i.rpm/orarun9i.rpm packages). Check out:

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/sof tware.html

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/doc uments.html

I'd query your use of SuSE 7.0 given the age of the distribution and the fact it is not Oracle certified. Consider SLES7 if you have the budget for it and you're planning on 8.1.7 or SLES8 for 9i. The Oracle support matrix from SuSE will give you a bit more information:

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/mat rix.html

The orarun RPM package takes care of a lot of the pre-install steps given in the official install documentation from Oracle. (Fire up your web browser and head over to OTN - http://technet.oracle.com - to grab the latest Oracle product install guide for Linux).

HTH
Regards,
Marc