Re: Oracle direction on triggers

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:13:03 -0800

Ed Stevens wrote:

> We have a developing situation I'd like some feedback on.
>
> A few months ago a new application went to production, using an Oracle
> 8.1.7 db on Win2k. This app is partly purchased product, partly
> custom code. Recently, another app, running on DB2 on the mainframe,
> needed to have a copy of the data on one of the tables in this system.
> We settled on using a trigger and the OTG to keep a DB2 table
> populated with changes from the Oracle table. The lead analyst on the
> Oracle app got upset over this approach, claiming it would wreck
> performance. He further stated that "Oracle apps have set a direction
> of moving away from the use of triggers because of performace." Since
> I don't keep up with Oracle Apps (we have none here) I couldn't refute
> it, but it sure sounded specious to me.

Your developer is likely steeped in mythology. Could it hurt performance? Of course. Will it? No one knows.

A change like this should be implemented in a test environemnt and tested. This is not an appropriate discourse for someone guessing off the top of their head.

Triggers, in the past, were more of a perforance issue than they are today. With well written code I'd certainly consider using triggers a viable option at least until an objective test told me otherwise.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 14:13:03 CST