Re: Sequence question

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:58:25 +0100

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:05:42 -0500, "Phil Kaufman" <philk_at_dbcsmartsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>This is a sequence question. I'm using Oracle 8.0.5, 8i, and 9i database
>engines.
>
>I have a question concerning sequences. I get the following error message
>if I attempt to login into the database, and determine the current value of
>a sequence by executing the following statement:
>
>select seq_some_sequence.currval from dual
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-08002: sequence SEQ_SOME_SEQUENCE.CURRVAL is not yet defined in this
>session
>
>I've determined that I must first get the next sequence value from the
>database engine first before doing a CURRVAL on the sequence. My question
>is; is there a way to determine the current value of a sequence without
>doing a NEXTVAL first?
>
>Also, I don't remember this being an issue with pre 8 databases, though I
>can't be sure of that. Not sure if things have changed with sequences since
>version 7.3.4.
>
>Anyway, any response is welcomed.
>
>Thanks in advance.

The answer to the first question is no, unless you retrieve the current value from the dictionary, which should be considered bad programming practice, and is available in the dba_sequences view only, IIRC. And yes: it has ALWAYS worked that way, in ANY version

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 11:58:25 CST