Re: Oracle direction on triggers

From: jase024 <member25482_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:53:11 +0000

well, I'm not sure what a formal Oracle DBA would say to this, but I'm handling a 8.1.6 database on a W2K, and the trigger I did to populate a table does cause the app which "triggers" it to pause as the trigger is
"doing it's thing". I found this to be effective in my senario since it
is only done once per week and the lag is only 60 seconds, but yes, triggers have a way of making the code wait until they are done before continuing. If you only need the table to be refreshed every 10 minutes or so instead of true "real-time", maybe scheduling a script will work (I've seen other DBA's do it for integrating between two of our systems here.) Above all else, I would recommend listening to what the DBA recommends (Listening to the real DBA's has kept me alive in my
"hands-on" dba training).