DBA-Developer or DBA-Sys admin : which is better combination ?

From: Pramod Ramachandran <pramod_at_rtimes.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2003 04:22:45 -0800

Hi all,

I am a software professional currently pursuing OCP (8i). I have succesfully completed three modules out of five. In fact it might not help me much in my current job since ours is a small Indian company and I dont have to do any tuning or backup-recovery job often, but has the responsibility of PL/SQL support and some Java development as well.

I am two years experienced in the above said DBA-support cum developer role. I would like to pursue a better challenging career as DBA/Developer in Europe or America.

Now I am asking question myself whether to concentrate more on Oracle with Unix or Solaris, both OS's on which I have only little idea (we use Win2000 server).

Another option is to concentrate on Oracle DBA with development with PL/SQL and Java.

The latter seems to be more confident for me as well as I have certain experience as developer.

But I dont know what are the prospects for a developer-DBA combination of skills. Some people say it is always better opportunities for a person who is a system admin turned DBA.

Do anyone want to comment on this ? What would be best combination of skills for me ?

All advices welcome. Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 06:22:45 CST