Re: Percent of Shared Pool used

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:03:52 +1100

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:00:13 +0200, Tanel Poder wrote:

>> If you're only using 70% of your shared pool, then you've over-sized it.
>> Free memory inside a cache is wasted memory. And the very last thing you
>> want to do is to flush the shared pool.

> Hi,
>
> flushing shared pool has helped me with performance during Oracle
> Applications upgrades several times. Of course this isn't a normal
> circumstance where thousands of packages are created in very short time..
>
> Tanel.

There are ZERO circumstances under which flushing the shared pool would have helped you with performance. It might well have saved your ass when the thing was fragmented to buggery, but that's not quite the same thing. Every flush of the pool would have caused extra parsing, and that would have actually slowed things down... which is a darn'd site better than not being able to place the thing in the library cache at all, I suppose. But it certainly isn't a performance enhancement.

Unless of course you can enlighten me on the exact nature of this performance assistance you gained from such flushing activity??

HJR Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 04:03:52 CST