Locks - how to monitor users operations

From: Marcin Kubec <marcin.kubec_at_warta-vita.com.pl>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:22:13 +0100

Hi!

 I wish to know if anybody "fought" whith the problem of locks?  For outline the problem:
 If one user is going an operation which lock table A in RX mode others can't lock this table in S mode.
 Some of that kind operations (blocking each others) are executed a long time, too long.
 I wish to know which pieces of code are responsible for this, and wno bloks who, when and how long one session blocks another  and how offen this situations happens.
 I thought of use something like database trigger somthing like ON_LOCK - which would be fired when the lock is established.  But I haven't found that kind of trigger.  I haven't found any sys table in which information about lock are inserted and updated. There are only dynamic vievs (v$lock,v$session_wait,etc).

 Do you know any solution, how to force an Oracle to insert information about lock,session,objects (into any table - best to my own table ) exactly in time of establishing the lock?

I don't mind to exactly monitoring only current users sessions, but mostly trace the systems work for a short period (a day) and based of this trace - analyze the bottleneck of the system (code - mostly PL/SQL packages)

By the way ,based on which objects are the Oracle dynamic views built?

 Thanks for any sugestion,

Martin Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 02:22:13 CST