Re: Newbie question (Please help)

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:34:20 GMT

"Adnan Jamil" <adnanjamil59_at_hotmail.com> wrote in news:jHb6a.523$kf7.104623_at_news20.bellglobal.com:

> Hello Gurus,
>
> I have installed Oracle 8.0.5 on Windows 2000 on my home PC just for
> doing PL/SQL practice. Oracle installed without any error but when I
> open SQL Plus 8.00 and enter username & password (System/Manager), I
> am getting following error message. Can anyone guide me, how can I
> connect with oracle database and stop this error. Thanks for your
> help. Error Is:-
>
> ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination.
>
> What TNS should I enter and from where I can get it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adnan

If/when you are directly logged on to the Oracle DB server system, you do NOT need to connect to the DB via SQL*Net and therefore do NOT need TNS either.

Just properly establish
PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_SID
and you should be into the DB without any delay.

When all else fails, RTFM!

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sun Feb 23 2003 - 16:34:20 CST