Re: RAC High End Scalability?

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:52:03 +0100

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:40:37 GMT, Michael Harvey <mgharvey_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>ORACLE make lots of claims about the scalability of RAC that I would
>like to believe.
>
>Microsoft recently (late last year) published a paper disputing some
>of these claims.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/compare/RealityBehind_RAC.pdf
>
>Now, I'm well aware that a Microsoft paper is going to be biased, but
>they do make a good point that nobody have published any RAC
>benchmarks showing RAC scalability using a cluster of high end
>servers. I'm interested in knowing if RAC can be made to scale using
>small clusters (4 or 8) of IBM p690's, HP Superdomes or high end Sun
>gear, where each server has 16 or more CPUs in it?
>
>If a single 64-CPU HP Superdome can manage a tpmC result of
>423,414
>(http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster)
>
>what could a cluster of 4 or 8 of them manage with RAC?
>
>Does anybody have practical experience of using RAC for scalability
>(not just failover) in high end UNIX servers such as these?
>
>Regards,
>Michael.

A few months ago I saw a presentation by the guys, who moved all databases of Lycos (http://www.lycos.com) on a 5-node RAC with HP hardware. This happened in 2001. As far as I remember, they said, that setting up the 4-node RAC was a really p... i. t.. a.. and adding another machine wasn't any smoother. But now it runs like a charm and scalability seems to be pretty well.

hth

Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Sun Feb 23 2003 - 13:52:03 CST