Re: copy certain data from one database to another

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:53:16 +1000

Hi David,

This is a general comment and suggestion to both yourself and anyone else intending to post a question here.

Oracle as a product has changed dramatically over the years and from release to release can offer different solutions to "general" questions such as yours. What may be impossible in one version maybe dead easy in another, what might be highly recommended in one version, might be terribly inefficient in another, what might be ..., oh you get the drift.

Without providing at least an Oracle version number, suggestions such as using the "QUERY" option with export may not be of much use. Then again it might be, I don't know ?

Another possible option is to simply use a database link and insert the relevant rows directly or to a holding table to clean out duplicate problems.

What happens with duplicates depends entirely on how you have configured constraints on the table and which solution you eventually think most appropriate.

Cheers

Richard